It is important for a multitude of reasons that we buy shoes that fit us properly. First, and most important, it keeps our feet healthy and an in good condition. Second, IT’S MORE COMFORTABLE! Follow these few simple tips and I can guarantee you your “dogs will be barkin” a whole lot less;
- Leave 1/2 inch at the front of the shoe. Be sure to check and see which is your longest toe, as it is not always the “big” toe.
- Leave 1/8 inch at the back of the shoe.
- Make sure you try walking in BOTH shoes and try out different surfaces (carpet,tile,etc.)
- Size does not matter. Just because you are a size 8 in one shoe does not mean that will be the case for every single pair of shoes you try on.
- Shop later in the day. Almost everyone develops swelling in the feet by the end of the day so if you shop later in the evening the chances of you buying shoes that could potentially be too tight are greatly reduced.
- Make sure to wear proper socks or hosiery. Try the shoes on with the garment you will be wearing them with on a regular basis.
Remember, shoes can either help foot problems, or cause them. If the shoe fits, wear it!